Unless you can think, when the song is done
No other is soft in the rhythm,
Unless you can feel, when left by one,
That all men else go with him.
Unless you can know, when unpraised by his breath
That your beauty itself wants proving,
Unless you can swear "For life, for death,"
Oh, fear to call it loving.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Excerpt from A Woman's Shortcomings

--
*This is only one stanza from the five stanza poem I just memorized for poetry class. Need I remind you that I am a song lyrics connoisseur, not a poet. This was a very difficult assignment for me... I even had to sing the poem to myself to pretend it was a song. When I asked my mom for advice on what poet to chose from, though, she told me that Elizabeth Barrett Browning was the Taylor Swift of her time. I think I can handle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment